Image Source: Pinterest


13 People Share The Most Terrifying True Stories That Have Ever Happened To Them

You might not be able to sleep tonight

The internet’s filled with real stories of things that go bump in the night. Without fail, individuals were asked to share the creepiest stories that happened to them, paranormal or otherwise. Trust us; these stories do not disappoint. Here are 13 of the scariest stories from around the internet.


My husband and I occasionally take our Jeep out into the sandwash/mesa/trails. We decided to pack some water and make a day of it. Towards the end of the trip, he heard a weird, “open-mouth” whistle – like someone just learning to whistle. I made a joke-notjoke that what if it was a Skinwalker. My husband replied with “That’s okay, our Jeep can outrun it!”. That was the end of the conversation. We then noticed we were heading a little off-track. Our navigation was pretty inaccurate and we realized we were fairly close to Navajo land. We went home and my husband started researching GPS apps. A little while later, he found one and said we should go out for a small rip to test it out. Boy, was that a mistake.

It was around 8:15PM, the sun was just setting and we had been out for about half an hour by this point. We were on a trail heading back home when my husband braked abruptly and asked “What was that?!” I asked what he was talking about, and he said “Out there by that dip. Something ran across the trail, and then back again”. I laughed and asked if he was screwing with me – but he continued “I swear I’m not. It was on two legs, but it was so fucking fast. Unbelievably fast”. I hadn’t seen a thing, and we proceeded as normal. I rolled up my window thinking it may be an animal, and we got closer. We were going about 25 MPH, so that we didn’t hit anything if something jumped out. He said “Right there, this is where I saw it”. It was another trail that crossed ours, and as we crossed it we saw two young girls with dark hair – One a bit taller than the other – standing there, watching us to the right. We chuckled as we passed and my husband said “See, I wasn’t fucking with you”. We both fell silent for a split second. It didn’t really sit well with us.

There are two young girls, and for all intents and purposes it was dark. The sun had just set. Why were they out there alone? My husband looked through the drivers-side mirror after we passed and yelled “OH MY GOD, THEY’RE GAINING ON US. THEY’RE FUCKING GAINING ON US”. I couldn’t understand what I had just heard, or why he would have said that. I looked through the passenger-side mirror and I saw nothing. I looked at him with a wtf look on my face and when I saw how serious he was, and how he just kept repeating “THEY’RE GAINING ON US!”, I twisted my body to look through the back window and I distinctly saw the two black figures – One a bit taller than the other – less than 50 feet away, and closing. (Now, when we passed the cross-trail, they were about 30 feet back. So for them to get from there, to literally right behind us in a matter of seconds isn’t possible.) My husband accelerated.. 30.. 35.. Still gaining.. 40.. 45.. Still gaining. At this point, my husband just stomped on it and our Jeep was kicking up such an insane amount of sand, that we lost a visual.

We were afraid to go home. Afraid that they would follow us. We drove around for about an hour in almost silence. Trying to process what we had just seen. Why were two young girls out there alone? How did they get behind us so quickly? How were they gaining on us? and most importantly, what the hell just happened?! We drove home, still shaken, and started getting ready for bed. Now, our bedtime ritual for falling asleep, is putting something on the tv and just dozing off. To the right of our bed, we have a sliding glass patio door. It’s what I face when I fall asleep. I remember dozing off. Then I heard a sound and my eyes shot open. I was seeing two shadows crossing the door. I didn’t mention anything at that time, because I was honestly unsure if 1. my mind was playing with me.., 2. I was sleeping. Not to mention the fact that if I had been asleep, I’d feel silly. So I only brought it up to my husband when I called him on my lunch break. He knew exactly what I was talking about with the shadows, because he had seen them too.

This happened almost three weeks ago.. Since then, we’ve woken up once to our front door unlocked, one specific kitchen cupboard opened almost every other morning, sounds, footsteps, etc.

Image Source


This story takes place in Canada during the late sixties. When my now deceased grandmother (my mother’s mother) was in her early thirties, she decided to drive to our town’s convenience store after dark to pick up a couple things. She had finally just managed to get her four children to sleep and left my grandfather to take over while she hopped in the car and made the 10 minute drive. Back then, the road from their house to the store had very few neighbors and was mostly just woods on either side of the two lanes. After buying the couple things she needed, she left the store and jumped back into her car, pulling out onto the road for her route home.

A minute into the drive she hears what sounds like newspaper rustling in the back of the car. Startled, she checks her rear view mirror to find out the cause of it. Instead of seeing the usual empty road or a set of headlights, reflecting back was a man’s face in the back seat. Scared to death, she instantly hit the brakes (hard enough to shock this man, probably giving him whiplash), jumped out of the car and began screaming loud enough so people near the store could hopefully hear. Having this man’s plan foiled (whatever his plan entailed), he took this opportunity to escape the car and ran into the woods, out of sight. After getting back to the store and calling the police, my grandmother found a cloth covered in chloroform in the backseat.

Just a note: Luckily, a couple from a house nearby heard my grandmother’s screams, helped calm her down and took her home. My grandfather said that she was unable to speak for hours, only able to muster up the necessary details for the police (who were the ones who detected that it was chloroform on the cloth). Poor thing didn’t drive for six months after this incident. The man was never caught.


Not the creepiest thing but it spooked the hell out of me for a while.

My brother and I were living in southern Africa and one day we were out at an open air market and we bought some trinkets that we were going to bring home when we visited in several weeks. As we were talking with the lady at the booth we were at we noticed that a wizened older man sitting in the back was staring st us intently. As we started to leave he said something to us in Zulu. Now my Zulu compression was pretty non existent at that point so I asked the lady what he said. She said that he was her father and a local Sangoma (kind of like a witch doctor) and that he said he was warning us from danger.

Now I’m not a superstitious person but I also am not dismissive of other people’s culture. I didn’t want to come across as rude so I asked what he was warning us from. What followed was chilling in its own right. He looked directly at me, almost like he was looking through me, and in a dark, creaky voice that I will never forget, told me 3 things to watch for. (The lady translated for us)

He told us that we would see a river appear and disappear in a night. Then we would see fire from a clear sky. Finally we would see the ground open up before us. He said that they would all be deadly but he would protect us.

Now like I said I’m not superstitious so I didn’t believe a word he said but I was polite and said that I appreciated his help.

2 weeks later we were camping out in the bush and it was pouring rain all night. About midnight we were in our tent and we hear a rumbling like a train outside. I look out and there was litteraly a river of water running 10 ft from our tent. A retaining pond collapsed and the water drained downhill just in front of us. We were lucky enough to be on slightly higher ground or it could have swept our tent and us away. By morning it had finished draining. And it was just wet ground where a river flowed

A couple weeks after that we were working in an open field surveying and leveling a property for building. It was completely cloudless above us though we could see storm clouds in the distance. With litteraly no warning a bolt of lighting hit the ground not far from where we were standing and lit the grass on fire.

About a month after that we were out in the mountains and were walking along a cliff. We felt the earth shake and the 6 feet of cliff edge right in front of us broke off. Now we were far enough back from the edge but it happened litteraly right where we were about to walk.

Now I said I am not a superstitious person, but I have no doubt now that that man saw something that day in the market.


When I was a baby, my mom woke up in the middle of the night and heard me crying. She heard my dad in my room across the hall saying “Don’t cry, your mommy is gonna be here soon.” She thought to herself ‘Why the hell is he saying that I’ll be there, if he’s in there now?’ She looked over and my dad was sleeping right next to her.

She jumped out of bed and ran to my room, and there was nobody there and I was smiling.

Image Source


It was about 5 PM. Midsummer still light. Driving up the street about to turn left into the cemetery. Ahead of us: a 1962 Ford falcon. When you see a Ford falcon these days you notice.

The cemetery was a small older cemetery completely enclosed by a stone wall 6-8 feet tall. It was just a city block, so you could see the entire cemetery from any part of the cemetery.There were only two ways in and out, and the gate for the second way was closed and locked.

The car was about 50 feet ahead of us. It turned left into the cemetery through the cast-iron gate that we were about to turn into.

Both my wife and I noticed the car and mentioned it to each other. About two seconds after the car turned into the cemetery, we did the same thing.

To our surprise however, we were the only car in the cemetery.

We drove around the cemetery three times. We looked behind every building and headstone.

We were the only car in the cemetery.


I was in a river that had a strong current when you went out a bit. I was chasing after a sandal that slipped off my foot when I got sucked out further into the river. The current pulled me out and then I started feeling myself getting pulled under. I then felt what I can only describe as hands pushing me back up and keeping me from going under until I was rescued by some friends of my father.

Not even a half hour later someone did drown and in the same spot I was rescued at.


In one of our previous homes there was a short hallway between the kitchen and the living room. It was very short, more of a pass-through between the two rooms, but long enough to have a pantry/storage closet built into one of the walls.

One evening as I was preparing dinner and my husband was sitting in the living room watching tv, we heard what sounded like an animal or perhaps a child, something like a soft “ooHHhheeoo”. Our children had moved out years ago at this point in time and we had no pets then either. The sound, however, was definitely inside and not coming from outside.

I asked my husband if he’d heard the sound and he said he had. Moments later we heard it again, coming from the closet in that short hallway. I was closest to the door to the closet so I opened it, and again we heard an “ooOHhhheeoooo” noise from that direction. My hands were literally shaking. The noise was coming from a box on the floor. I reached out slowly to open it, and there, packed away with various other odds and ends, was a Furby whose batteries were dying. What we’d heard were its dying moans.

Image Source


First, a little backstory on the mall itself: It was built back in the 80’s and during construction, there was a man’s body found on the property in a large metal drum. The man was never identified and the case remains unsolved. I would post the unsolved case as it’s still on the website… But it kind of give away too much information about where I live.

Any way, I worked at the movie theatre inside of the mall.

One evening I was up in the booth starting a movie. This was when we still had film projectors, so it involved threading the movies up before they could be started. Our booth was one really long hallway, and I was near the end of it, quickly threading something.

Then I heard a male voice call my name. I was in a rush, so I called back without thinking “yea?” there was no response, so I walked into the centre of the hallway and looked down, saying “What do you want?” But again no one said anything. I was kind of annoyed now that someone was calling me so I finished what I was doing and went downstairs. I went over to the usher and asked him why he was calling me, but he had no idea what I was talking about. The other manager I was working with was female, and it was definitely a male voice. I would say that maybe the usher was just being cheeky and had snuck up there to freak me out, but the door to the booth was locked and only me and the other manager had a key to it.

We had a radio that we kept upstairs for the booth manager to listen to when they built movies. Eventually this radio was phased out once people started listening to IPods, but it remained up there. At least 3 times a week the radio would turn itself on for no discernible reason. There was no alarm on it. Sometimes we would even unplug it and find it plugged back in, on and playing. It scared the shit out of me a couple of times when I was up there alone shutting down the booth at the end of the night and suddenly it would come on full blast.

Me and another manager were in the office at the end of the night, doing cash and finalising inventory for the night. There was another radio in the office that we would play CDs on. We had a TON of CDs that had been donated over the years by other managers and they were kept in stacks on the shelf near the CD player. I was sitting at the computer closest to the CD player when out of nowhere, one of the stacks of CDs FLEW off the shelf, scattering CDs everywhere. The other manager immediately turns and sees me sitting at the desk, terrified and we both start freaking out. I have NO explanation for this, because if the stack had merely fallen (say due to the vibrations from the bass) they would have fallen straight down. These CDs were FLUNG to the point where they had hit the manager sitting clear across the office. Enough for her to look around and initially say “what the fuck?” before noticing that I was sitting at the other desk.

That was NOT the first time something like that had happened either. Another manager had come in one morning to find all of the VHS security tapes we had flung around the office. She thought we had done it the prior night and was rightfully pissed off that we would play such a stupid prank. But since it was ME that had worked the prior night, I KNEW that had not happened. Now it would make sense if maybe someone had bashed into the shared wall of the office and knocked the tapes over, but there was a shelf directly above where we kept the VHS tapes, and everything on it was untouched.


I was trying to get my daughter to sleep and she was having none of it.

Nearing the end of my tether I asked her why she wouldn’t fall asleep, she stopped what she was doing, pointed to the corner of the room and said “Because those two people won’t stop watching me” (we were the only people in the house at the time).

Image Source


I honestly do not believe in ghosts, but when I was a kid I lived in this old place that was about a hundred years old in a valley. There was a creaky old windmill that had been moved there from a mine a few decades earlier.

My room was the worst. It was originally meant to be a study so I had bay doors with glass in them (I had to change in the bathroom). It was always freezing cold even if you had a heater and the manhole to the roof space was right over where my head was when I slept. We also had a giant carpet python living in our roof eating possums, so it’s a wonder it didn’t lift the lid up. I was never scared of that though because there was an upper corner in my room which felt… off. I dunno how to explain it but it was like knowing there was a large spider there watching you.

So one night I was up reading a book (from the Selby series I remember) and I felt a weird presence. I looked up through my doors and a woman wearing an old style white dress ran right past. I think I must have been sitting there for like twenty seconds when suddenly a guy in mining gear ran past as well.

Anyway, I got my mum to put curtains over my doors the next day. I was freaked out about it at the time, but I remember thinking a little later that they actually looked pretty happy. Still, I suppose it was pretty creepy.


This is a story I do not often tell. I promise, sincerely, that this has scarred me for life and although I have looked into psychological explanations for what I heard and natural explanations for what occurred, they remain unsatisfactory.

When I was a child, I was scared of the dark. I swore to my mother I heard voices in it. They were not evil, but they were not familiar and so they scared me. It was not uncommon in the middle of the night for me to wake up and hear “whispers” as I would call them when asking my mom. She figured they were just “bumps in the night” and typical kids nightmare material. I tried often to explain to her that it was more than that, that they sounded different from one another the way people’s voices do.

On some nights I would get so scared from these “whispers” that I would sleep in my mom’s bed with her. It was an added bonus that the bathroom was directly outside of her bedroom door for my late-night tinkles.

I should add at this point that when walking out into the hall to go to the bathroom, you looked directly down the stairs that would lead you into my living room on the first floor (as my mom’s bedroom was on the second floor).

On one such night, around Christmas, I awoke and felt the need to relieve myself. I walked out from the door and distinctly heard the phrase “Look!” and to my astonishment, a red light, almost like a spotlight, was cast upon the wall at the very bottom of the stairs. The light had no other source, it was by itself, and I was transfixed by it.

Being a little kid, and it only being a few days from Christmas, I KNEW what this light was. IT WAS SANTA!!! How else could he get into my house to know I was being a good boy. I was so excited I began walking down the stairs to greet him, picking up my pace after the second step as it began to creep off the wall and fade into the darkness in my living room.

That’s when I heard him. A very strong, masculine voice. Different from the first. Not at all like my father’s (not to say he isn’t masculine, it was just distinctly different). It said “Stop! Right now. Go back up those stairs.”

I listened, turned around, and what happened next I am not sure I would believe if someone had told me this same story. After reaching the top of the stairs, I heard a very loud CRASH that sent me running back to my mother’s bed where I jumped straight under the covers and stayed there the whole night.

When we awoke the next morning, the poinsettia lights (little Christmas flower lights that glowed red) my mother had put on the railing down the stairs were pulled straight down to the bottom of the stairs, some broken from what seemed like a forceful tear, laying in a single pile. The dry sink in my living room had fallen from the wall. My mother could not explain it! My father was worried we had been the victims of a home invasion. My sister was crying.

There was nothing missing, nobody had broken in, there did not seem to be any reason this had happened. And then I saw it, and I kept quiet about it because I was so afraid that I could not force words out of my mouth.

There, on the edge of the wooden dry sink which had been facing up, were three indentations where the finish on the wood had been worn, almost as if in a forceful grip. Something down there had GRABBED IT AND THREW IT DOWN. That was what the bang was.

I was mortified. After that day I never heard a single voice again. I do not like to imagine what was waiting downstairs for me that night, if it was anything at all, but I can tell you that the reality was that something had physically acted upon two things in my house near the bottom of that stairwell.

After this, I had never heard another whisper again. Which is sad, because in some ways I would have liked to thank the man (masculine energy?) that had stopped me from going down those stairs. This happened when I was 7 (or 7 and a half! as I liked to say at the time).

I am 20 years old now, and because of this incident I am still afraid of the dark. ESPECIALLY shadowy stairwells.

Image Source


So, not sure if scary, but really weird. 2 days after my grandfather died, the neighborhood security guard knocks on our door on a Sunday morning. He told us: ” An old man came to your house earlier, knocked on your door for half an hour, and finally left. When I asked him what he wanted, he told me he needed to say goodbye to someone he had never had the chance to meet”. We were all stunned, had no idea who this old man was, or who was he looking for.

When the guard came in, he shouted: “That’s the old man!!” pointing at a picture of my grandfather. My entire family froze for a minute. I’m not 100% sure if the guard was telling the truth, but I almost like believing that my grandad wanted to say goodbye to my newborn sister, before resting in peace.


Okay. This happened to me when I was a junior in high school. It was December and it had just started snowing, that evening. My best friend and I were in debate and getting ready for our state qualifiers, that were the next day. We were writing our cases and as usual, at each others throats over the details of the cases. It was a stressful, tense evening. We finally finished our cases at about 3am. Then, we went to my room for the night.

Almost as soon as we get into my room, we hear what sounds like the water turning on in the other end of the house. No big deal, probably my parents, I think. Then, we hear the front door open. I told her, “I bet mom woke up and wanted some fresh air.” It made sense. I really thought thats what it was. Until we heard incredibly heavy foot steps in my living room, headed for my room. They were NOT anyone in my family’s foot steps. Then they stoppedn. My friend and I looked at each other and were both freaked out, just standing, frozen in my room. We walked closer to each other and the foot steps started again, but this time they were running toward us.

We both flipped. We grabbed each others hands, out of fear, and my bedroom door flew open. We both looked at the door. Nobody was there. We ran to the bathroom that’s connected to my room. I closed/ locked the door and stood against it. When we finally got the balls to do it, we sprinted to my parents’ room, crying and hysterical. We obviously startled my parents awake. They said neither of them had gotten up. My dad grabbed his gun and looked outside. No tracks in the snow, anywhere around our house.

Image Source

What do you think?

-1 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 1

Upvotes: 0

Upvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Downvotes: 1

Downvotes percentage: 100.000000%

One Ping

  1. Pingback:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Kevin Spacey and Gordon Ramsay Have A Swear Off And It’s F**cking Hilarious

13 People Share The Most Terrifying True Stories That Have Ever Happened To Them