It’s disheartening to see that success is measured by what we’ve accomplished, not by how we choose to live our lives. Fear bogs us down until we accept what life has handed us, the need to make lemonade has long since been forgotten. We’re so focused on the “grind” that we lose sight of the big picture – the need to enjoy life, find happiness and achieve our real purpose.
The following quotes by authors that inspire us are meant to fuel that fire in your belly. To insight the inspiration you need to enjoy a life that’s truthful.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that
J.K Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
Nurture your mind with great thoughts. To believe in the heroic makes of heroes
Benjamin Disraeli, Coningby
3. I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
William Ernest Henley, Invictus
4. Beware; for I am fearless. And therefore powerful
Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
5. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully well. Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance.
David Nicholls, One Day
6. You need to learn how to select your thoughts just the same way you select your clothes every day. This is a power you can cultivate
Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
7. Stop worrying about growing old, and think about growing up
Philip Roth, The Dying Animal
8. When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.
Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
9. There’s only one real sin, and that is to persuade oneself that the second-best is anything but the second-best
Doris Lessing, The Golden Notebook
10. The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they are felt with the heart
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
11. Don’t try to comprehend with your mind. Your minds are very limited. Use your intuition
Madeleine L’Engel, A Wrinkle in Time
12. If you don’t try at anything you can’t fail … it takes back bone to lead the life you want
Richard Yates, Revolutionary Road
13. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Samuel Beckett, Worstward Ho
14. Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
Edgar Allan Poe, Eleonora
15. I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Frank Herbert, Dune